Life As I Know It

Life As I Know It

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Life's Painful Moments That Teach Us The Most

Ever feel like the life has literally been sucked out of you?  You have given all you have and it is just never enough?  Maybe you have personal goals that you are working towards and someone makes a comment that just destroys that?  A comment is made that completely crushes your spirit?

An extremely hurtful comment was made to me yesterday that completely caught me off guard and almost instantly brought tears to my eyes.  I fought back the tears at the time but have been dwelling on this very personal comment that was directed at my appearance ever since.  After having time to think about it, I have come to realize that I have two choices.  I can stay angry about it, be bitter towards that person, and feel sorry for myself OR I can learn a lesson from this.  After having a good cry at home about it I have decided on option #2. 

Nothing good is going to come of me dwelling on this comment and getting angry at the person who said it.  Instead it is reminding me to always be mindful of your words.  Think twice before you speak.  You can never take back your words.  Believe me there have been times I wish that I could go back in time and totally change what has come out of my mouth.  Words can be so hurtful whether they are true or not.  No one can fully understand what another person may be battling in their personal life.  Knowing that so many people have hard situations they are facing and difficult lives they are leading, why would we not want to say something kind and uplifting?  That one kind comment could totally change someone's day for the better and mean more than you will ever know.

Aside from this comment that was made to me yesterday, I have been allowing myself to get very upset everytime someone asks if I have kids yet and then when I politely tell them that I do not they go on to start complaining about how I should never have kids and how kids are such a burden and so hard to deal with.  Honestly, you would not believe how often this conversation has come up with me in the last several months.   I know that these people have no idea about my situation and how I would give my left arm to have a child, but if people would just think that maybe the other person might not appreciate that comment, so much unnecessary hurt could be avoided. 

So I am learning that some of life's most painful moments can also be life's best lessons.  Harsh reminders that maybe we need to examine our own lives and see what hurt we could be causing others by not even realizing it.

 I challenge you to always think twice before you speak as your words can be the best or worst part of someone's day.

Luke 6:45-For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.


No comments:

Post a Comment