Life As I Know It

Life As I Know It

Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Peace That Surpasses All Understanding


One of my favorite things to do is to take a long drive by myself.  Some people may think this seems crazy when gas is $3.30 a gallon, but to me it is one of the best things in life.  Arizona freeways often loop, so that is a beautiful thing when you love to take a long drive.  Tonight was no exception.  I rolled down my windows, cranked up my music, and jumped on the freeway.  Instant peace.

Peace.  That is something that I have been asking for for months.  After we lost our precious baby I had never needed peace as badly as I did in the days and weeks that followed.  No matter how many hours we sat at a park or how many times I "looped" the 202, I had no peace.  I was then reminded of Philippians 4:7-"And the peace of God, that transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus".  What beautiful words. I am learning that no matter how many I try to "fix" my problems, divert my attention, or distract myself from a problem, what I really need is that peace that transcends all understanding.

This weekend I had a huge decision that had to be made.  I have been torn for weeks about it.  I think in my mind I was waiting for a huge neon sign to start flashing and give me my answer.  In all reality, if I think back on all life's big decisions, my answers have always come when I am simply quiet and wait.  It is very rare that God sends us an unmistakable sign in the form of something tangible for us to see.  It is when we are patient and listen to His soft whisper that we get our answers.  It is when we allow ourselves to rely solely on that peace that transcends all understanding, that we will be given direction. 

My answer was given to me this weekend when I completely gave up trying to figure it out on my own, and I have never had so much peace about a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment